Donde esta Angela? Where is Angela you ask?
I’ll be doing a number of things this year:
- I’m in five critique groups, all are online. Hooray for critique groups! I’m now also participating in an illustration critique group with SCBWI members.
- I received a diversity scholarship and am participating in Julie Hedlund’s 12×12 Challenge. I’ll be writing and revising 12 manuscripts before the year is over.
- I was also selected for a half scholarship to participate in a five week online course offered by The Children’s Book Academy: The Craft & Business of Writing Picture Books. I networked and learned more in those five weeks than I did in ten years on my own! Mira Reisburg and Kelly Delaney were ever so helpful with their professional feedback.
- I’m also applying for a Sustainable Arts Foundation grant and crossing my fingers that I receive one.
Goals this year:
- Hopefully I’ll be able to attend an SCBWI conference this year. Time to save my dinero!
- Find a literary agent that is ecstatic about my work! I’ll be querying all year long, here and there. I’m willing to take my time to find the perfect fit for me and my work.
- Writing, writing, writing! Reading, reading, reading! Oh add painting and sketching to the list. My focus has been on watercolor,but I plan to work in other mediums such as acrylics, oils, pastels, etc.
- I’ve also been studying picture books to see if I can identify what medium the artist used in their illustrations. Sometimes the inside of the book will say what medium the illustrations are, sometimes I get nada (nothing) information on it. It has been a nice little game my kiddos and I play together. 🙂
- I’m bulldozing (okay it’s not really bulldozing, more like a slow, persistent flap and flutter) my way to publication (with a little bit of pixie dust in hand)…at least that’s the goal–to make magical things happen through my writing.